Fitness in February
In response to the Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move Cities and Towns" initiative, in celebration of “American Heart Month” in February, “National Nutrition Month®” in March, and the “Get Your Plate in Shape” campaign, Andrea C. Troutner, RD, LDN, CDE was the chair for the 2nd Annual “Fitness in February” event, a free night of fitness activities & fun for the entire family, held on February 24, 2012 at Redland Middle School in Rockville, MD.
Various fitness activities and community resources were made available for all of the participants during the event and in the future. This was also a night of healthy snacks and dinner for purchase under the coordination and supervision of MCPS Division of Food & Nutrition Services Director, Marla Caplon, RD. Redland’s “new” salad bar was launched that very evening under her leadership.
This was the evening's itinerary:
- Free door prizes: 6:30-8:30 PM
- Free pedometer while supplies last!: 6:30–8:30 PM
- Dinner for purchase. Come Try Redland’s NEW Salad Bar: 6:30-7:30 PM
- Healthy Snacks for purchase: 6:30-8:30 PM
- Attend a Health Fair: Available Screenings-blood pressure, BMI, body fat % & Community Resources-Dietitian, Nurse, and Personal Trainer on site for questions: 6:30-8:30 PM
- Group Glee Cardio Workout: 6:45-7:00 PM
- Bollywood Dance and Cardio Workout: 7:00-7:10 PM
- Basketball Jamboree-Students versus Parents: 7:15-7:55 PM
- Zumba Cardio Workout: 7:15-7:40 PM
- Individual Fitness Activity Contest: 7:45-8:15 PM
- Individual Obstacle Course Contest: 8:00-8:30 PM
- Fitness Activity & Obstacle Course Contest Student Winners: 8:30-9:00 PM
- Door Prize Winners: 8:30-9:00 PM
If interested in launching a future “Fitness in February” event in your neck of the woods contact Andrea Troutner, RD, LDN, CDE, “Fitness in February” 2012 Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org (301) 466-0611.