Webinar: Reversing Cognitive Decline Utilizing a Functional Medicine Approach
Indians in Nutrition and Dietetics Member Interest Group (IND MIG) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) is pleased to invite you to attend this webinar. Please share this announcement with your members, friends and on social media. Kindly register for this event as soon as possible as space is limited.
Webinar Title: Reversing Cognitive Decline Utilizing a Functional Medicine Approach – Part II
Speaker: Aarti S. Batavia, RDN, CLT, CFSP, IFMCP
Date: Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Time: 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EDT/ 12:00 pm CDT / 11:00 am MDT / 10:00 am PDT
India--Please adjust the time internationally
Registration is FREE
· This session will be presented using VOIP. A phone number will not be available.
· 1 Free CPEU Credit will be earned for live attendance.
· The webinar will be recorded and posted to the IND website for later viewing. Slides and recording will be sent to all registrants.
Attendees will know:
1. Review types of dementia, sub-types of Alzheimer’s disease and underlying mechanisms of cognitive decline.
2. Discuss nutritional approaches in prevention and management of cognitive decline.
3. Identify the role of supplements and lifestyle strategies to optimize cognitive health outcomes.
Learning Need Codes:
1. 3010: Assessment methodology
2. 4040: Disease prevention
3. 5300: Neurological: stroke, Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s, spinal cord
4. 5420:Complimentary care, alternative therapies (nutritional care)
1. PI1: 4.2 - Reflects, integrates and evaluates using critical thinking when faced with problems, issues and challenges.
2. PI2: 8.3 – Demonstrates a commitment to maintaining and enhancing knowledge.
3. PI3: 10.4 – Applies knowledge of the interrelationship and impact of pharmacotherapy, dietary supplement, functional foods and nutrients on health and disease in accordance with scope of practice and standards of professional performance for RDNs.
CPE Level II
The loss of a human mind - the gradual deterioration of a lifetime’s worth of wisdom, experience and personal relationships is a tragedy- Markham Heid. Alzheimer’s disease is one of the most significant global health threats we face today. It is estimated that 36 million people worldwide live with dementia, with numbers expected to reach 115 million by 2050. Dementia prevention is an urgent priority, not just to reduce incidence but also to slow, stall the progression and possibly reverse cognitive decline especially in patients exhibiting early signs of the disease. A multi-modal programmatic approach utilizing functional medicine has emerged as a potential intervention to enhance clinical outcomes for individuals with dementia. In this webinar, the speaker will discuss the role of RDN in optimizing cognitive health utilizing a functional medicine approach.
Aarti Batavia MS, RDN, CLT, CFSP, IFMCP, is one of the very few advanced functional medicine practitioners who is not only IFM-Certified but also trained by the research neurologist and author Dr. Dale Bredesen himself to implement “The Bredesen Protocol” utilizing the systems biology approach. She is the owner of Nutrition and Wellness Consulting and a visiting faculty at Wayne State University. Aarti holds a master’s degree in Food Science, Nutrition and Dietetics from Mumbai, India, and a Coordinated Program in Dietetics from Wayne State University. Aarti currently serves as: Chair - Indians in Nutrition and Dietetics MIG; Connecting Educators Chair - Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine DPG; State Coordinator - Vegetarian Nutrition DPG; Spokesperson - Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; and CEU Chair - Southeastern Michigan Dietetic Association.
IND-MIG web address: https://aapi.webauthor.com
Thank you to IND MIG’s 2018-2019 Year-RoundSupporters!