Job ID JL1031 posted on 08/15/19
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Nutrition Specialist is responsible for planning, facilitating, and documenting nutritional counseling activities on and off-site, under the direct guidance of the Nursing Coordinator. These activities may include, but are not limited to, 1:1 nutrition counseling, group educational sessions and supervision of meal preparation.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Plan and implement 1:1 nutritional counseling for referred members, focusing on realistic foods and menus, grocery shopping, and meal preparation.
2. Provide education and counseling related to diet and diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, and obesity.
3. Work closely with nursing, psychiatrists, and primary care doctors regarding nutritional needs of referred members.
4. Plan and implement educational sessions for staff and members on proper nutrition, healthy eating, and meal preparation
5. Document all direct service delivery promptly and accurately, including communicating with the clinical treatment team.
6. Performs all other direct job related duties as is assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. BA/BS in dietetics, foods and nutrition, or related area.
2. Board licensed dietician or nutritionist.
3. Knowledge and understanding of severe and persistent mental illness.
4. Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
5. Good verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to work evening and weekend hours as appropriate for the position.
7. Basic computer skills to include knowledge of WORD and EXCEL
8. Valid Maryland driver’s license and a driving record with 3 or less points on it at the time of hire.
9. Ability to maintain moderate physical activity to include walking (including stairs), lifting (groceries, laundry), driving, and some outdoor activities.