Job ID JL1718 posted on 07/14/22
The Nutritionist II will assess the client's nutritional and/or health risks and prescribe food packages. Determine and prioritize nutritional risks of clients. Provide nutritional instruction in individual and group settings. Develop nutritional care plans for high-risk individuals. Coordinate nutritional care with other members of the health care team to assure medical and social services. Provide individual instruction and follow-up. Keep abreast of current research findings in maternal and child health nutrition. Establish and conduct programs to promote, support, and protect breastfeeding.
• Assess anthropometric data, medical history and lab values.
• Assign nutritional risk codes to clients based on established guidelines.
• Develop high-risk care plan and follow-up care in CARES.
• Prescribe food package taking nutritional needs, food preferences, and cultural background into consideration.
• Provide individual and group education.
• Include substance abuse education and referrals.
Breast Feeding Advocacy
• Conduct breastfeeding activities.
• Participate in breastfeeding promotion.
• Act as a breastfeeding coordinator on rotation, as needed.
• Issue manual and electric breast pumps and maintain issuance log.
• Refer clients to breast feeding peer counselor/lactation specialist.
Caseload Management and Outreach Activities
• Ensure effective operation and WIC caseload management in the WIC clinic.
• Maintain established show rate at the clinic.
• Supervise day to day clinical operations to assure compliance with State and Federal requirements.
• Plan and coordinate outreach activities for the site.
• Assure comprehensive medical and social services for clients.
• Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
• Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
• Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
• Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
• Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
• Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Annual Plan - Goals and Objectives
• Conduct training programs for the WIC staff and intra-agency clinic staff, as needed.
• Assist to develop at least one annual plan objective for the assigned site/agency.
• Assist with annual plan goals and objectives of the agency.
• Keep abreast of current research findings in MCH nutrition in order to insure appropriate intervention.
• Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
• Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
• Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
• Maintain confidentiality at all times
• Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
• Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
• Partner with all team members to achieve goals
• Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
• Contribute to a positive work environment
• Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
• Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
• Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
• Use resources efficiently
• Search for less costly ways of doing things
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Goldberg - Shaw Metro
641 S Street NW
Position Status: R (Regular) - FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: 8:30-5:00P
Bachelor's Degree Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition Science, Nutrition, Dietetics, or nutrition related field (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year Experience and/or completed internship, preferably in the area of maternal and child health (Required)
Ability to perform responsibilities of a WIC nutritionist without routine supervision
Required Licenses and Certifications
Licensed in the District of Columbia or licensed in another state with proof of application for District of Columbia licensure (Required) Registered Dietitian (Required)