Student Poster Presentations
The Maryland Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (MAND) is hosting its Annual Conference this spring, Friday April 19th, 2024 at
Marriott, BWI Airport | 1743 West Nursery Road | Linthicum, MD 21090.
Evaluation of each category are based on the following:
- Research - Abstracts should include a brief description of the author’s original research methodology including design, subject characteristics and procedures, major findings, and conclusions or implications for dietetics practice.
- Case Study / Report - Abstracts should include a brief introduction for context, particular disease/condition/pathophysiology, management/interventions and outcomes as well as a discussion of findings.
- Project / Program - Abstracts should include information about the need or purpose for such a program, project, or tool development; the theory or previous research upon which it is based, or setting for its use, if appropriate; the unique characteristics of the project, program, or tool; the characteristics of subjects or the target audience involved; and the type of evaluation or proposed use for the tool or instrument developed.
- All abstracts must address nutrition-related topics. Abstracts may have been previously published, printed, or presented prior to this year’s Annual Meeting.
- Abstracts should be no more than 250 words in length and should be formatted following the appropriate abstract category template below. Also, please define all acronyms used.
- Abstracts with data/outcomes not yet finalized by the Monday, February 19th deadline are still encouraged to submit. In lieu of results, please include a detailed description of evaluation and data analysis of research.
- Monday, December 25th, 2023 - window opens for poster abstract submissions
- Monday, February 5th, 2024 - submission window closes at 11:59PM EST
- Monday, February 19th, 2024 - applicants notified of abstract acceptance
- Friday, April 19th, 2024 - Annual Meeting and presentation of posters!
All abstracts are peer-reviewed by a blind panel of 2-4 MAND board members. Preference is given to original research. More details will be provided on judging criteria and prizes!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2023 STUDENT POSTER COMPETITION WINNERS!
Thank you to all the poster session participants that we had at the 2023 MAND/DCMAND Annual Conference Meeting! Nancy and I had a very hard time deciding on winners this year due to all the talent that was showcased!
It was a pleasure working with everyone on the poster session and wanted to congratulate all the student winners!
2023 Student Case study winners were:
Ileostomy in the Setting of Diverticulitis by Jenna Seeley from Johns Hopkins Bayview.
Ampullary Adenocarcinoma and Subsequent Surgical reaction by Elena Towle from Johns Hopkins Bayview.
2023 Student Research winners were:
Assessment of Racial Disparities Related to Knowledge of Diabetes of Allied Health Profession College Students by Andrea Peller Dietetic Intern, Michelle Dix Dietetic Intern, Julie Schoonover Dietetic Intern, Michael Kirtsos, Dietetic Internship Director, MS, RDN, CSSD, LDN from University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES).
Parenteral Nutrition Use in Adult Inpatients at a Large Academic Medical Center by Carolyn Miller, Myesha Rolle, Jennilee Stocker, Natasha Salziger, Shyla Cadogan from University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC).
The relationship between BMI and pain in active-duty soldiers by William C. Hall, Julianna M. Jayne, Jeffery L. Heileson from Walter Reed National Medical Military Center.
Good luck with all your future endeavors; hopefully, we will see you actively representing your profession in the upcoming years!
Tara Seymour, MS, RD, LDN, CDCES, CCTD
Clinical Nutrition and Research Division Chair for MAND