Childhood Obesity Workgroup
The Maryland Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has teamed up with Delegate Bob Costa, various state agencies and other organizations to develop a strategy for dealing with the childhood obesity epidemic.
Board members last met with Del. Costa and the Childhood Obesity Workgroup in September. Since, Del. Costa has introduced HB 370. This bill will require any child entering the Maryland Public School system to include in their physical a calculation of Body Mass Index. Members of the Maryland AcademyWorkgroup will continue to work with Del. Costa and other professional groups in Maryland to continue the battle of decreasing the prevalence of childhood obesity.
- MDA Committee Members- planning meeting 8/8/11 (minutes)
- Del. Costa Workgroup meeting 8/12/11 (minutes)
- MDA Committee Members- planning meeting 9/7/11 (minutes)
The first meeting was held in the Lowe House Office Building, 6 Bladen St, Annapolis, MD on July, 19, 2011.
In attendance were:
- Del. Costa
- Del. Luedtke
- 3 members of Public Health Department
- 3 members of Maryland State Board of Education
- 2 members of Maryland Dietetic Association (President-Jennifer Carman, Public Policy Coordinator-Berit Christensen)
Please click here to read the minutes of this meeting.
If you would like more information or to get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Task Force on Student Physical Fitness in Maryland Public Schools (PDF)
Final Report of the Task Force to Study Student Fitness in Maryland Public Schools, Submitted to the Maryland General Assembly and Governor
November 20, 2008
Yale University Policy Strategies (PDF), Fall 2010